Happy Grandparents Day, 2012! For Canadians, today is National Grandparents Day! This holiday is celebrated on the 2nd Sunday of every September since 1995. Grandparents Day is a holiday created to celebrate and acknowledge the importance of grandparents in our society.
Like mothers and fathers, grandparents are just as important and they definitely deserve to be celebrated. They are often neglected and left to live in seniors homes. But these loving seniors are the heart and soul of our society. They are full of knowledge and wisdom. We can learn so much from them. And like any other human being, they want to be acknowledged as a valuable member of society.
So take the time today to tell your grandparents how much you care about them. Give them a hug or two! It will make their day that much brighter!
“If nothing is going well, call your grandmother.” - Italian proverb
Here are some things you can do with your grandparents today:
- Spend some face-to-face time with your grandparents. Get to know their story. Ask questions. Listen.
- Take a family portrait.
- Complete a family tree together. Get to know your family history.
- Make a scrapbook. Find out the stories behind the photos.
- Host a family dinner celebration. Cook your grandparents’ favourite foods. Serve dishes from old family recipes.
- Learn a new skill together. Teach your grandparents something new and vice versa.
- Take your grandparents out to their favourite places and spend some time together.
- Don’t forget to give your grandparents a gift, even if it’s just a card. It shows them that you care! Flowers are always a welcomed gesture!
Flowers that your grandparents would enjoy:
- Let’s Celebrate Grandparents (a2mealsonwheels.wordpress.com)