That’s right! Today is Mother-in-Law’s Day! It’s not a joke. This holiday was created in 2002, to be celebrated on the 4th Sunday in October, to recognize and honour mother-in-laws.
But many of you are probably thinking, “Isn’t that what Mother’s Day is for?” Well, apparently mother-in-laws get neglected on Mother’s Day and they need a separate holiday just for them.
Whether or not you get along with your mother-in-law, today is a good day to set aside those differences. She is after all, the mother of your spouse. That alone is enough cause for celebration, or least a bit of appreciation and recognition.
Here are some ways to celebrate Mother-in-Law’s Day:
- Give her a hug and tell her how much she means to you.
- Take her out to brunch at her favourite restaurant.
- Or invite her over for a home-cooked meal.
- Spend some quality time with her. Consider her hobbies and interests. Do something with her that you know she will enjoy.
- If she doesn’t live in the same city as you, surprise her with a visit! Be sure to bring some flowers. Or at least give her a call and/or send her a note.
- If you don’t get along with her, today is a good day to work things out. Have a heart-to-heart. Be open and honest with her, while remaining respectful. Talk about the issues that tug at your heartstrings.
- Consider giving her a gift. Flowers and gift baskets are always appropriate.
Here are some gift ideas for your mother-in-law:
Treat your mother-in-law to a gift of peace and relaxation with this gift basket.