When I seen this picture I knew that I had to post it here, talk about using flowers to decorate…lol.
What is truly awe-inspiring is the sheer size of this flag, trust me it is much larger than it looks in the photo.
This American flag is 6.65 acres and composed of an estimated 400,000 larkspur plants, each with 4-5 individual flowers, for a total of over 2,000,000 flowers! The flag is the first “floral flag” to contain 5 pointed stars composed of white larkspur. Here are a few more facts
- Each star is 24 feet in diameter, about 3′ longer than a Ford F-150 Crewcab pickup truck!
- Each stripe is 30 feet wide, as wide or wider than many single family homes!
- The flag is 740 feet long and 390 feet wide. Compare this to the following
– NHL Hockey Rink 200′ x 85′
– NFL Football Field 360′ x 160′ (this flag is over twice this length and width!)
- The flag maintains the proper United States flag dimension ratios as outlined in Executive Order 10834
The flag is located close to Vandenberg AFB in California. Between the field where the flag is planted there are an additional 9+ miles of flower fields that go all the way to the Pacific Ocean.