Situation: You just got a date with the girl (or guy) of your dreams and you want to make a good impression. Or maybe you want to surprise your mother with some flowers to show her your gratitude. In any case, flowers are the perfect gift! They bring happiness and joy to homes and workplaces. And they smell good! But there’s one little problem. You’ve never bought anyone flowers before and don’t know where to begin.
Solution: This handy guide was written just for you! It will give you the confidence and knowledge to choose the right flowers that will make your recipient feel special!
1. Start with a budget. You need money to buy flowers. Figure out how much you are able to spend. Flowers are available in a variety of price ranges. If you are budget conscious, choose seasonal flowers. Flowers that are out of season will cost you more. And there are always flowers on sale.
2. Know that different flower colours convey different meanings. For instance, if you want to say “I love you,” choose red roses or tulips.
3. Know that each flower variety conveys a different meaning. Think about the message you will be sending. For instance, gardenias say “I love you secretly.”
4. Do consider potted plants, especially if your recipient has a green thumb and enjoys growing plants. Potted plants will last longer than cut flowers. Plus, they will provide a constant reminder of how thoughtful and caring you are.
5. Flowers can be bought online or in person. If you are going into a floral shop, choose flowers that appear fresh. Look for bright, vibrant and perky petals and erect stems. Yellowing leaves and stems are not a good sign.
6. Choose flowers that you think your recipient would enjoy. Does he/she have a favourite colour or flower? If you don’t know, ask her friends or relatives. Think about her personality and character. For instance, is she a city or farm person?
7. That being said, you don’t have to make the decision on your own. Florists are trained professionals and would be happy to help you in any way.
8. And last but not least, don’t fret and worry about whether you made the right selection. In the end, it’s the thought that counts. Your recipient will be delighted to receive flowers.