That’s right! Today is Mother-in-Law’s Day! This holiday was created in 2002 and is celebrated on the 4th Sunday in October; it’s a day to recognize and honour mother-in-laws everywhere.
But many of you are probably thinking, “Isn’t that what Mother’s Day is for?” Well, sure. However, apparently mother-in-laws get neglected on Mother’s Day. So it’s only fair that mother-in-laws get their own special day!
That being said, if you love your mother-in-law and you think she is the greatest person in the world, you don’t need a reason or holiday to celebrate her. A holiday is a just a reminder to not take your mother-in-law for granted and to show your her how much she cares. Whether or not you get along with your mother-in-law, today is a good day to set aside those differences. She, is after all, the mother of your spouse. If she wasn’t around, you wouldn’t have been married to the love of your life. That alone is enough cause for celebration, or at least a bit of appreciation and recognition.
Here are some ways to celebrate Mother-in-Law’s Day:
- Give her a hug and tell her how much she means to you.
- Take her out to brunch at her favourite restaurant.
- Or invite her over for a home-cooked meal.
- Spend some quality time with her. Consider her hobbies and interests. Do something with her that you know she will enjoy.
- If she doesn’t live in the same city as you, surprise her with a visit! Be sure to bring some flowers. Or at least, give her a call and/or send her a note.
- If you don’t get along with her, today is a good day to work things out. Have a heart-to-heart. Be open and honest with her, while remaining respectful. Talk about the issues that tug at your heartstrings.
- Consider giving her a gift. Flowers and gift baskets are always appropriate.
Here are some gift ideas for your mother-in-law: