It’s that time of the year again! Christmas is coming! You know how I know? Poinsettias are everywhere! These colourful plants are in homes and businesses, adding colour and holiday cheer everywhere! Poinsettias come in a variety of colours, including red, yellow, purple, white and pink. Some are even bi-coloured! They are easy to care for and last a long time!
Here are some fun facts about the poinsettia:
- there are over 100 varieties of poinsettia available
- poinsettias are native to Mexico and can be found in deciduous tropical forests
- the plant was named after botanist Joel R. Poinsett, who introduced the plant into the USA from Mexico
- poinsettias contain a milky sap, that can be a skin irritant
- the flowers are the tiny yellow clusters in the centre of the plant, not the petal-like leaves called bracts, that we often mistaken as flowers
- the bracts were once used for dye
- of all the colours available, the tradition red poinsettia is still the top seller!
- poinsettias are just another pretty plant; they can also remove pollutants from the air
- National Poinsettia Day is celebrated on Dec 12th
- poinsettias are not posionous, but that doesn’t mean you should eat them
Poinsettias make great Christmas gifts! They come a variety of sizes and colours. You can buy them conveniently online at growerdirect.com.
To learn more about poinsettias, visit these pages:
- Poinsettia Time ! (florafocus.wordpress.com)