The weather outside may frightful, but it can be delightful inside! Add life and beauty to your home decor with some fresh flowers. There are many beautiful plants that thrive indoors, like the paperwhite or narcissus tazetta. The paperwhite, the original “just add water” plant, is the easiest plant to grow in the comfort of your own home. Kids can even do this! The process is as simple as putting the bulbs in water along with some stones to hold them down and waiting for the plant to bloom beautiful, white fragrant flowers.
Let it grow! Let it grow! Let it grow!
- shallow container, without drainage hole (flower pot, vase, etc)
- marbles, rocks, or gravel
- paperwhite bulbs
Here is a step by step guide to growing paperwhite bulbs:
- Place a layer of stones, marbles or gravel on the bottom of the container. The layer of rocks will give the roots room to grow.
- Add the paperwhite bulbs, with the pointy side facing up on the rocks. Plant bulbs close together, almost touching.
- Add another layer of stones/marble/gravel to fill in the gaps and cover the bulbs, leaving only the tips showing.
- Add water, filling it until it reaches the base of the bulb. Do not submerge the entire bulb or it might rot.
- Keep the bulbs in a cool, dark spot. Check on bulbs daily to see if they need more water. There is no need to fertilize.
- When you see roots developing, move container to a sunnier location. The bulbs will flower within 4-6 weeks. Once they bloom, move them out of direct sunlight as they will last longer.
- Enjoy! Paperwhites make great gifts for friends and family.
- Growing Paperwhites: A Holiday Craft that Keeps on Giving (piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com)
- remedy for grey autumn and winter days – spring blossoms from forced bulbs (growinggracefarm.wordpress.com)
- planting bulbs indoors – all winter long… (riperedberries.wordpress.com)