Christmas just wouldn’t feel quite like Christmas without traditional holiday plants, like poinsettias and holly decking our halls. Holiday plants add colour and holiday cheer to our homes. However, pet owners should take some precaution. Many of the popular Christmas plants are toxic to pets, including cats and dogs. Pets can become quite ill.
In fact, the holiday season is one of the busiest for vets. But these health scares can be easily avoided by keeping these poisonous plants away from your cat or dog:
The flowers are beautiful, but also deadly. Ingestion can cause abdominal pain, vomiting, bloody diarrhea and delirium.
Amaryllis are popular holiday plants, but these gorgeous, showy flowers are also toxic. Amaryllis plants contain lycorine and other toxins. The bulb is said to be more toxic than the flowers and stalk. Ingestion can result in vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and abdominal pain in both cats and dogs.
The plant is attractive with its glossy leaves and bright red berries, but don’t let its good looks fool you. Although some birds eat them as food, the berries are toxic. They can cause gastric intestinal distress, vomiting, and diarrhea in pets and small children.
The white berries of the mistletoe plant is so poisonous, that it is recommended that you remove the berries before bringing the plant inside your home. The berries can cause excessive salivating, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive urination and heavy breathing in small children and pets. The stems and leaves of the mistletoe also contains toxins, but in lesser amounts.
As you can see, all of these plants are highly toxic and this is just a partial list. For a more detailed list, please refer to our Flowers and Pets webpage. To protect your pets from harm, your safest bet is to not bring these plants home.
If your pet does ingest one of these poisonous plants, contact your vet ASAP.