To all the people who have yet to discover the joys of gardening, this blog post is for you!
In today’s stressful, fast-paced, technology-obsessed world, gardening has become an increasingly popular trend. People want to reconnect with nature and enjoy the simple pleasures of life. Gardening is a low-cost and highly rewarding hobby. In fact, gardening has become a way of life for many people. Starting a garden can change your life. And all you need to get started is a few tools: shovel, garden hose or watering can, soil, and seeds or plants.
If you still need convincing, here are some reasons to start gardening:
- Gardening is fun! Designing a garden gives people the opportunity to express their creativity. Choosing the types of flowers and plants to grow is part of the fun! As well, creating beautiful one-of-a-kind flower arrangements from the garden is a ton of fun!
- It is great way to meet new people! Gardening doesn’t have to be a solitary activity. It can be a conversation starter for you and your neighbours and other members of the community. Joining a gardening club is another way to meet like-minded people.
- Gardening will bring you happiness and a sense of accomplishment, by building self-esteem and confidence.
- A garden will give you a personal oasis, a beautiful, calming place to relax when life gets too stressful. All the bright, cheerful flowers will make you forget all of your troubles.
- Gardens with blooming flowers, trees and shrubs, will beautify your landscape. You will be the envy of the neighbourhood! Plus, if you plan on selling, a garden increases the curb appeal and makes the home more attractive to potential buyers.
- You would be helping the environment. Trees and shrubs in the garden will provide food and shelter for birds and other wildlife. Flowers will attract bees to the garden, which is especially important with the worldwide decline in the bee population.
- Don’t like going to the gym? With all the bending, pulling, lifting, pushing, digging and stretching that is involved, gardening is a great way to burn calories. Studies have shown that an hour of moderate gardening can burn up to 300 calories for women and 400 for men.
- A well-designed garden can save you money by reducing your home energy costs. Planting shade trees around your house will provide protection from the sun in the summer and wind in the winter.
So what are you waiting for? Start gardening!
- Planning Your Garden (growerdirect.com)
- Ways to Green Your Garden (growerdirect.com)
- Perennial Garden Plants (growerdirect.com)
- Annual Garden Plants (growerdirect.com)
- Spring Gardening Checklist (funflowerfacts.com)
- 2013 Gardening Trends (funflowerfacts.com)
- How to Grow an Indoor Herb Garden (funflowerfacts.com)
- Tips for Cutting Flowers From Your Garden (growerdirect.com)
- Flower Arranging 101 (growerdirect.com)