Weeds are a nuisance. You have worked hard to keep your flowers beautiful and healthy. Then suddenly, invasive weeds are taking over your garden and depriving your plants of precious moisture and nutrients.
If you are reading this article, chances are that you have weeds in your garden and you are looking for ways to get rid of them.
You could always take the easy way out and use herbicides to get rid of those pesky weeds, but those harsh chemicals are harmful for the environment. For one, herbicides will leak into the ground and contaminate our water supply. A better, more environmentally sound solution is to weed by hand.
Here are more reasons to weed by hand:
- It’s cost effective! Aside from a couple of hand tools, weeding by hand is dirt cheap and practically free. Chemical sprays can be expensive, especially if repeat applications are required.
- It is a form of exercise. Even though it’s not exactly cardio workout, you will still burn calories, which is key to any exercise program.
- Weeding by hand can also relieve stress. All that yanking and pulling will help you work out your stresses and frustrations in a safe, non-judgmental environment. For some gardeners, the work is relaxing.
- Instant gratification! Chemical weed killers can take a couple of days to kill the weeds, whereas weeding by hand gives you instant results. Besides, it is quite satisfying to see immediate results!
- In the long run, you will have to weed less because you are increasing your chances of getting rid of the whole weed, root and all. Chemicals often need to be reapplied every few months to get the same results.
- Did we mention, chemicals are bad for the environment?
Weeding by hand is not a fun task and is quite time consuming, but it is a lot better than the alternative. Weed regularly, so the weeds don’t get out of control. The best time to weed is when the soil is moist, which makes the job easier.