Succulents are one of the hottest trends in gardening now, beautifying both indoor and outdoor spaces. If you don’t know what they are, succulents (sometimes called fat plants) are plants, like the hens and chicks plant, that have thick, fleshy leaves and stems that help them retain water in dry climates. Succulents come in a wide variety of unusual, yet striking shapes and a magnitude of stunning colours, including blue-green, purple, orange, pink, yellow, and white.
You might have seen them as potted houseplants or if even as part of a “living picture frame.” These funky plants have even been making an appearance in weddings, adding texture and visual interest to wedding bouquets and centerpieces!
If you haven’t jumped on the succulent bandwagon yet, here are some reasons why you should grow them:
- Succulents are one of the easiest plants to grow, as they don’t need much care or maintenance.They don’t need to be pruned like other plants.
- Succulents don’t mind neglect and don’t need to be watered regularly. They are difficult to kill, making them perfect houseplants for beginners or those with black thumbs!
- They can handle poor soils and don’t need fertilizer.
- They are disease and pest-resistant.
- Succulents are long lasting and hardy, especially in colder climates.
- They are versatile— for both indoor and outdoor use. In the home, succulents can be made into a living picture frame, grown in a containers, like a terrarium and more! In the garden, they would be suitable for garden beds, rock gardens, containers, living walls, and more! Your creativity is only limited by your imagination!
- As garden plants, succulents are drought resistant and don’t need much watering.
- They are also easy to propagate! Most succulents can grow new plants just from a single leaf. Great for giving them away to friends, family or neighbours.
- There is a wide variety of succulents to choose from, ranging in sizes, colours and forms. You will find a plant to suit your home and gardening needs!
- And last but not least, succulents are visually stunning! These funky and unusual plants will make a bold statement, adding beauty, texture and drama to your home or garden.
- Trend Alert: Living Pictures with Succulents (funflowerfacts.com)