There are two main types of chamomile used in traditional herbal medicine: German Chamomile (Matricaria retutica) and Roman or English Chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile).
If you are a gardener, you can grow your own flowers. Alternatively, you can purchase dried flower heads, liquid extracts or creams from specialty or herbal stores. Chamomile tea is readily available at most grocery stores and pharmacies.
Most people are familiar with chamomile tea as a remedy for upset stomachs and insomnia; here are more amazing health benefits of chamomile:
- Heals Cuts & Wounds: Chamomile tincture (the extract mixed with alcohol) was used by ancient Greeks, Romans & Egyptians to help speed up the healing process for cuts and wounds, especially burns.
- Relieves Indigestion: Chamomile contains strong anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can soothe and relax stomach muscles to relieve symptoms of indigestion (bloating, gas, upset stomach, etc…). Those suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrone (IBS) can benefit with a cup of chamomile tea.
- Relaxes Muscles: Drinking chamomile tea can soothe muscle cramps and aches. It can also relieve menstrual cramps. Try drinking at least 2 cups of chamomile tea a day while symptoms are present.
- Reduces Anxiety & Stress: Chamomile tea can help calm and soothe feelings of anxiety, stress and depression by relaxing the brain muscles and inducing sleep.
- Relieves Migraines: A cup of chamomile tea can be a home remedy for migraines. It best taken when the first signs of symptoms start to appear.
- Boosts Immune System: Like echinacea, chamomile can be taken to boost your immune system to ward off colds and flu. Drink at least two cups a day to build a strong immune system.
- Removes Dark Eye Circles: Cooled chamomile tea bags used as a compress can help remove dark circles or bags around the eyes caused by fatigue and lack of sleep.
Caution: Those with ragweed pollen allergies may not be able to take chamomile, as the pollen can trigger allergic reactions. Also, it may interfere with some medications.
- 10 Uses for Chamomile Flowers (funflowerfacts.com)
- What to do with Chamomile? (defeatingpain.wordpress.com)
- Chamomile Benefits: Growing Your Own Medicine. (zedie.wordpress.com)
- DIY Tea Towel Facial (simplecareproducts.wordpress.com)
- Chamomile tea for a baby suffering colic (earthlywondersemporium.wordpress.com)
- The Perfect Chamomile Tea (aprizecalledheavenward.wordpress.com)